Why migrate to Cisco Catalyst 9200 Series switches?Maria Cruz Alcocer
Cisco has launched two new products within the Cisco Catalyst 9000 family, the Catalyst 9200 switch and the Catalyst 9800 wireless LAN controller. With these new models, CISCO incorporates wireless access to the new age of intent-based networks. A network that learns, adapts, and protects your investment, and becomes more efficient and secure over time.
In today’s article we will focus on the CISCO Catalyst 9200 Switch.
Why upgrade to Cisco® Catalyst® 9200 Series switches ?
The catalyst 9200 Series switches are focused for SMEs but what does it offer?
- Faster core, faster access
The Catalyst 9200 series switches are twice as fast and have twice the capacity of traditional switches.
- Security everywhere
Integrated security reduces attack entries, helps you detect and stop threats. Get advanced security features that protect the integrity of your hardware, software and all the data that flows through the switch. Talos, Trustworthy Solutions, MACsec encryption and segmentation.
- Centralized management
SD-Access and Web UI help close the IT gaps created by the cloud, virtualization and automation technologies. Simple web user interface or DNA Center provisioning combined with the open Cisco IOS XE APIs and the programming capability of the UADP ASIC technology.
Cisco IOS XE: is the latest update of the core operating system from Cisco. It is modular, programmable and supports all the capabilities of our new network controller, DNA Center. This means that with a simple user interface, you can automate, establish policies, provide security and obtain security throughout your network of wired and wireless networks, from the branch or the farthest campus to your most central central system.
ASIC with channeling capabilities and programmable micromotors, together with configurable assignment based on Layer 2 and Layer 3 resending template, Access Control Lists (ACL) and Quality of Service (QoS) entries
- Always ON
The Catalyst 9200 series switches provide enterprise-class recovery, analytics and security to keep your business running smoothly. The FRU power supplies and fans, modular uplinks, cold patches, perpetual PoE and industry’s highest mean time between failures (MTBF) make the Catalyst 9200 series switches stand out from the crowd switches of its kind.
The following table shows a comparison between the Catalyst 2960x and the new Catayst 9200 series of equipment:
Models of C9200 switches
FRU Power Supply
Stacking Bandwidth Support
Modular uplink models (C9200 SKUs)
Yes (4 Virtual Networks)
Fixed uplink Models (C9200L SKUs)
Limited (1 Virtual Network)
Know the Catalyst 9200 Series switches Fixed uplink models: C9200L
Catalyst 9200 24 and 48 port,
fixed 1 G uplinks
Catalyst 9200 24 and 48 port,
fixed 10 G uplinks
Catalyst 9200 24 and 48 port
|C9200L-24T/P-4G, C9200L-48T/P-4G||C9200L-24T/P-4X, C9200L-48T/P-4X||C9200L-24T/P, C9200L-48T/P|
|Data and full PoE+ options||Data and full PoE+ options||Data and full PoE+ options|
|24 and 48 ports of 1 G||24 and 48 ports of 1 G||24 and 48 ports of 1 G|
|4 x 1 G SFP fixed uplinks||4 x 10 G SFP+ fixed uplinks||4 x 1/10 G, 2 x 25/40 G modular uplinks|
|Up to 48 ports of full 30W PoE+||Up to 48 ports of full 30W PoE+||Up to 48 ports of full 30W PoE+|
|SD-Access, Cisco StackWise, MACsec||SD-Access, Cisco StackWise, MACsec||SD-Access, Cisco StackWise, MACsec|
|Redundant power supplies and fans||Redundant power supplies and fans||FRU redundant power supplies and fans|
|Enhanced Limited Lifetime Warranty (E-LLW)||Enhanced Limited Lifetime Warranty (E-LLW)||Enhanced Limited Lifetime Warranty (E-LLW)|
● Up to 48 ports with full Power over Ethernet Plus (PoE +) capacity
● Resilience with replaceable field units (FRU) and redundant power supply, fans and modular uplinks
● Flexible downlink options with data or PoE +
● Operational efficiency with optional backplane stacking, which supports a stacking bandwidth of up to 160 Gbps
● UADP 2.0 Mini with integrated CPU offers customers an optimized scale with a better cost structure
● Improved security with AES-128 MACsec encryption, segmentation based on reliable policies and systems
● Level 3 capabilities, including OSPF, EIGRP, ISIS, RIP and routed access
● Advanced network monitoring using Full Flexible NetFlow
● Access defined by Cisco software (SD access):
◦ Simplified operations and implementation with edge-to-cloud policy-based automation managed with Cisco Identity Services Engine (ISE)
◦ Network guarantee and improved resolution time through the Cisco DNA Center ™
● Plug and Play (PnP) enabled: a simple, secure, unified and integrated offer to facilitate new deployments of branch or campus devices or updates of an existing network
● Cisco IOS XE: is the latest update of the core operating system from Cisco. It is modular, programmable and supports all the capabilities of our new network controller, DNA Center. This means that with a simple user interface, you can automate, establish policies, provide security and obtain security throughout your network of wired and wireless networks, from the branch or the farthest campus to your most central central system.
● ASIC with channeling capabilities and programmable micromotors, together with configurable assignment based on Layer 2 and Layer 3 forwarding templates, Access Control Lists (ACL) and Quality of Service (QoS) entries
As a summary of this article, the equipment of the Catalyst 9200 series offers simplicity: they are safe, they are always on and IT is simplified. They help customers simplify complexity, optimize IT, and reduce operational costs by leveraging intelligence, automation, and human experience that no other provider can offer, no matter where you are.
The Catalyst 9200 series switches provide security features that protect the integrity of the hardware, as well as the software and all the data that flows through the switch. It provides resistance that keeps your business running smoothly. Combining that with the Cisco IOS XE open APIs and the programming capabilities of UADP’s ASIC technology, the Catalyst 9200 series switches provide what you need now with investment protection in future innovations. The Catalyst 9200 series switches are the industry’s unrivaled solution with differentiated flexibility and progressive architecture for cost-effective branching, with PoE + capability, power and fan redundancy, stacking bandwidth of up to 160 Gbps, modular uplinks, Support layer 3 functions and cold patches. Access to the office.