What technology trends does Cisco consider significant for 2020? Part III.Maria Cruz Alcocer
Trends in talent | IT skills
New skills for modern network management.
“By 2025, 75% of network teams will spend less than one-third of their time maintaining the network status quo and two-thirds for innovation and creating business value.” – Joe Clarke, distinguished engineer, Cisco
New technologies are eliminating many manual tasks in many industries, and IT is no exception.
The good news for IT is that job demand remains high for those gaining new skill sets in demand, such as network programming capabilities.
As network operations become more automated, network administrators will assume roles that align with new operational practices related to network lifecycle management, policy, and assurance.
Network strategists will take on high-value roles that aim to improve business alignment, integrating IT processes, improving security, and making better use of data.
In the next two years, advanced network technologies will disrupt almost all network functions. With IT assuming a more central role in business transformation, IT professionals must adapt.
Whether a line of business is implementing a new IoT application, a new cloud service, or a new compliance policy, IT professionals must understand what is required of the network and what their role will be in order to deliver the services. necessary network connections on time and safely.
In this part of the CISCO report he examines how they are changing three key IT roles ( network strategist, network professional and IT leader ) and identify the new skill sets these professionals will need to oversee a rapidly evolving business networking environment.
Responsible for defining the network strategy, roadmap, architecture and technological preferences.
Titles: Network Strategist, IT / Network Architect, Network Administrator
- Business integrator. To line up IT performance with the company’s business objective:
- User Experience Manager
Business Skills: Determine business requirements and convert them to network requirements.
DevOps Skills: Understand how Network Platform APIs and Natural Language Processing (NLP) technologies can bridge business intent and IT.
- Network integration architect. Network integration focused on IT and network domain integration:
IT process reengineering and integration
ITSM service operations
- Network watcher. Bring the network and security architectures together:
- Network data architect. sFocused on leveraging network analytics and artificial intelligence:
Analytics and AI skills
Responsible for implementing, configuring, maintaining, and troubleshooting the network
Titles: Network Engineer, Network Administrator, Network Support Engineer
- The network commander. Focused on managing the life cycle of the network.
- The network orchestrator. Focused on the application and automation of policies.
- The network detective. Focused on network and service security.
• General IT and network supervision
• Supervise the strategy and budget of the network.
Titles: CIO, Vice President of IT Infrastructure, Chief IT Officer
Recommendations for IT Leaders: How to Build the Network Team of the Future : Five strategies can help leaders build a networking team equipped to power a digitally transformed business.
- Cultivate a culture of continuous learning.
- Find the balance between recycling and hiring.
- Invest more in training and development.
- Turn the talent to increase the vision about the business objective of the company.
- Promote an inclusive work environment.
“We need network and infrastructure engineers who are motivated to design, build, and operate mission-critical infrastructures. We need software developers who are driven to write innovative applications that run on infrastructure and automate workflows and tasks. The most effective organizations will have teams of software and infrastructure domain experts who can work together effectively. ” – Susie Wee, SVP and CTO, Cisco DevNet
Read the CISCO 2020 Global Networking Trends Report: