Cybersecurity. When a user uses insecure devices he makes insecure networks
In terms of cybersecurity What are the challenges facing public administration and private enterprise?
In recent weeks, it is rare that we do not receive news of attacks on various public administrations or private companies. Services fall, data hijacking, payment of ransoms… leaving both public bodies and private companies inoperable in part of their systems and which directly affects their activity and the services they provide.
In many of these cases, the virus is spread through a team of staff. The user can be within the organization or teleworking. According to information provided by CISCO , these are the data with the new hybrid work paradigm:
- 6 out of 10 organizations have had more than half of the workforce teleworking during confinement, and 37% expect to maintain this trend.
- Security remains the main concern of CIOs. 73% described it as their first challenge, followed by the complexity of IT (67%) and multi-cloud environments (61%).
- 62% of respondents say that secure access is the main challenge of remote work, followed by data privacy (55%) and control and enforcement of security policies (50%).
- Finally, 85% of organizations consider cybersecurity more important than before the pandemic and 66% are increasing investment in this field.
Characteristics of a robust cybersecurity strategy
In the face of various interviews, both in the public administration and in the private company, they have in common that the current Firewall solutions plus VPN connections and an antivirus are not enough today and that they need more layers of protection.
With the advent of remote work everyone agrees that this security should not be on the perimeter of the organization but the user should wear the same layers of security no matter where they are.
From Solutel, we recommend the following layers of protection at the level of cybersecurity:
- A use of enhanced user authentication mechanisms (multifactor) and devices (site protection against attacks and malicious code) combined with zero trust policies.
CISCO UMBRELLA (DNS Layer protection),
AMP for End Point (antivirus + EDR)
CISCO DUO (dual-factor user authentication solution)
- A network segmentation that allows to isolate the threats in case of being detected ( IBN Networks ).
- Robust protection for access to applications hosted on multiple clouds (what we call multi-cloud security). SASE