Cisco Meraki MX65W more than a firewallMaria Cruz Alcocer
Cisco Meraki MX65W more than a firewall
This Cisco Meraki MX65W is an ideal security device for organizations up to 50 network users.
It is a Next Generation 250 Mbps security firewall that, unlike the MX65, includes 802.11ac / n WiFi and 12 × GbE (2 PoE +). They are devices that are 100% managed in the cloud: installation and remote administration are very simple and have a comprehensive network services package, which eliminates the need to use several devices.
Interfaces 12 × GbE (2 PoE+)
Firewall Throughput 250 Mbps
VPN Throughput 100 Mbps
Recommended Clients 50
Advantages against traditional firewalls:
- Centralized and simple management of all firewalls from a single administration portal. It is 100% managed in the cloud, the installation and remote administration are very simple
- Traffic modeling and application management
- Failover 3G / 4G through a USB modem
- Web caching
- Management of VPNs extremely simple and automated and without additional costs per user.
- Optimization of traffic between sites with data compression saving bandwidth and increasing speed.
- Prioritization of traffic by applications to optimize the use of the Internet.
- Integrated reports in the management portal, without the need for additional installations.
- Proactive threat management.
Types of licensing:
Comment that there are two types of licensing in MX. The Enterprise license and the Advanced Security, with option of 1, 3, 5, 7 and 10 years.
Next, we show in table the comparison between the two licenses:
|Feature||Enterprise license||Advanced Security license|
|VLAN to VLAN routing||✔||✔|
|Link bonding / failover||✔||✔|
|3G / 4G failover||✔||✔|
|Traffic shaping / prioritization||✔||✔|
|MPLS to VPN Failover||✔||✔|
|HTTP content caching||✔||✔|
|Client connectivity alerts||✔||✔|
|SD-WAN. WAN optimization||✔||✔|
|Geography based firewall rules||✔|
|Intrusion detection / prevention||✔|
|Anti-virus and anti-phishing||✔|
|Youtube for Schools||✔|
|Web Search Filtering||✔|
|AMP / Anti-malware||✔|
Finally we focus on what we consider a good product for the SME, MX65W with Advanced Security licensing, we comment the benefits:
- Next-generation firewall, layer 7 “next generation” firewall, gives administrators full control over the users, content and applications of their network.
- Application control
- Web caching
- Various WAN uplinks.
- Fault tolerance
- Content filtering
- Intrusion prevention, based on SNORT®.
- Antivirus and antiphishing
- Web search filtering