Basic recommendations to minimize RansomwareMaria Cruz Alcocer
Basic recommendations to minimize Ransomware
Ransomware, infects a personal computer or mobile device, blocks the operation and / or access to part or all of the equipment, seizing the files with strong encryption and requires the user to amount of money as a “ransom” to free them .
Prevention is essential to stop Ransomware.
What are the basic recommendations to stop Ramsomware?
- System and application update . Keep the operating system and applications updated with the latest security patches.
- Defense line . An antimalware solution should be installed and maintained, including a firewall configured to allow exclusive access to the necessary applications and services.
- Anti Ransom Tool . It is a specific tool against this type of attack, which will try to block the encryption process of a ransomware.
- Antispam filter . Many of the Ransomware attacks are distributed through mass email campaigns. Include the advice not to click on links or open attachments from unknown senders.
- Security politics . Establishment of policies that prevent the execution of directories commonly used by ransomware, such as App Data, Local App Data, etc.
- Privileged accounts . Do not use accounts with administrator privileges. 86% of threats against Windows can be dodged by using a common user instead of an administrator. That is why it is important to use a common user for common tasks and only leave the administrator for when a series of system-specific tasks is to be done.
- File extensions . Showing extensions for known file types is a good practice to identify possible executable files that want to masquerade as another type of file.
- Virtual machines . Using virtual machines to isolate the main system is another effective technique. In a virtualized environment, the action of ransomware does not usually materialize.
- Backup . Making backup copies, hosted on an external medium, of important data is the most effective measure to minimize damage in case of being infected.
How can Solutel help you?
Email Ransomware Protection
Cisco Cloud Email Security with Advanced Malware Protection (AMP) blocks ransomware delivered via spam and phishing. It even identifies malicious attachments and URLs. Email remains the most frequently used application by ransomware.
Web ransomware protection
Most ransomware attacks use DNS. Cisco Umbrella with DNS and IP layer enforcement stops ransomware on all ports and protocols. Stay protected with Umbrella whether you’re on or off the grid.
Ransomware Protection for Endpoints
Cisco Advanced Malware Protection for Endpoints prevents ransomware files from taking your system hostage. While you can’t completely prevent risky cyber behavior, you can improve the security of your endpoints and servers.
Learn more about Cisco Umbrella and Advanced Malware Protection (AMP)
CISCO UMBRELLA: Platform of cloud security offering the first line of defense against Internet threats wherever users are.
- Cisco Umbrella provides complete visibility into Internet activity for all locations, devices, and users.
- Block threats before they reach your network or endpoints.
- Threat protection like no other: malware blocking, Call2back callbacks, and phishing.
- Predictive intelligence: automate threat protection by discovering attacks before they go live.
- Worldwide coverage in minutes – no hardware to install or software to maintain.
- Security Reports – Get a personalized summary of malicious requests and more, right to your inbox.
CISCO AMP : CISCO AMP for endpoints, offers complete protection against the most advanced attacks. Not only avoids breaches and blocks malware at the point of entry , but also detects, stops and provides a quick solution to threats if they elude front-line defenses and sneak in. If something finally gets in, AMP provides a continuous threat detection and monitoring to quickly detect malicious behavior and response capabilities to quickly contain and eliminate threats before damage occurs.